Our Step-by-Step Guide on How to File a Roof Insurance Claim
Anyone who owns a building has a certain level of anxiety when it comes to needing to repair a damaged roof. Owners need to maintain a careful balance between managing their contractor and holding the insurance company accountable in order to get the damage fixed and everything back to normal. While it may not always be straightforward, Stone Creek Roofing is here to explain how to file a roof insurance claim.
This blog will take a look at what your homeowner’s policy typically covers, what it doesn’t, what you should do when you suspect roof damage, and why Stone Creek Roofing is a superior choice when your home needs repairs or replacement.
What Your Homeowners Policy Typically Covers … and What It Doesn’t
What your insurance covers will depend on your policy’s terms and the reasons why your roof needs to be repaired or replaced. A policy will typically cover sudden problems like weather-related damage caused by hail, wind, snow, ice, or fire. Insurance can cover partial damage, or it may cover an entire roof replacement. Your policy may cover your roof for actual cash value, which means your roof is too old, and reimbursement is dependent on the depreciated value of the roof at the time it was damaged.
Your insurance policy assumes it is your responsibility to maintain your roof and have it inspected regularly, which means policies may not cover damage due to lack of maintenance and normal wear and tear.
How to Handle a Roof Insurance Claim
As soon as you suspect roof damage—whether it’s damage from a passing storm, a ceiling leak, or even water in your basement that could come from a damaged gutter—follow these steps:
- Have your roof inspected by a professional roofing contractor – Damage to a roof can be complicated, so it’s important to have your roof professionally inspected if you suspect damage. There could be damage that isn’t obvious from the ground (or even to the untrained eye from up close), so you’ll want professionals to do an initial evaluation. Stone Creek Roofing offers a no-obligation roof inspection from a trained, trusted professional roofer. We’ll get on your roof to spot and mark hail damage, assess damage to roof structures, and document our findings.
- Read (and understand) your insurance policy – Before you file your claim, it’s important to understand your policy. Your insurance policy is intended to return your roof to the condition it was before it was damaged, so if you are looking for allowances for upgrades, you most likely won’t find them. Further, your policy will answer important questions. What types of roof damage are covered? Did you exclude wind and hail damage? Is your coverage for replacement cost or actual cash value? How old is your roof at the time it was damaged, and how will this affect your claim? Stone Creek Roofing has experts who understand insurance policies, so they can walk you through the process
- Consider your deductible – The deductible is the amount you pay before the insurance company covers the rest of the cost. Some insurers have a special deductible for hail and wind damage, so understand your out-of-pocket expense.
- Be prompt about contacting your insurance company – With our inspection findings and a thorough understanding of the best course of action and how you expect your insurance to handle it, you should call your insurance company as soon as possible. The longer your roof sits damaged, the less obvious the damage will be, and it’s important when an insurance adjuster comes to look at the roof that they see the damage as we did.
Our Best Advice, Hire a Roofer You Trust
Before founding Stone Creek Roofing, our founder worked as an insurance claims adjuster. This past experience is one of the reasons he decided to start a company that zeroes in on the frustrations homeowners and building owners face when dealing with insurance companies and contractors.
Stone Creek seeks to alleviate these frustrations. Our project managers are equipped to provide the best value for you, but perhaps more importantly, we know how to make the process go as smoothly as possible by providing an iron-clad estimate.
- Coming from an insurance background, our team has a high level of expertise.
- Our project managers are specifically trained in our products, our philosophy, and, perhaps most importantly, how to deliver our brand of customer service.
- We use Xactimate, a powerful and comprehensive property claims software, to create estimates that are backed by hard data and visual evidence, not guesswork.
- We are members of a managed repair program called Contractor Connection that holds contractors like Stone Creek to high standards. This involves training, background checks, licensing, and high standards of customer service that set us apart from other roofing contractors.
We focus on doing what is best for our customers. Some companies try to land your business by promising a new roof, meaning they encourage customers to unnecessarily file claims with their insurance company. Instead, Stone Creek Roofing seeks to find the best solution for the customer. These customer testimonials below will illustrate how this works:
“Kyle Beers did a professional job of checking for hail damage and gave a truthful estimate that there was not enough damage to totally replace the roof. There were some places of small bruises on the shingles but none that were broken or dented through the shingle. I was thinking that for sure they would say ‘Of course you need a new roof,’ that’s what many roofers would say in my opinion. But Kyle carefully took pictures and showed that a replacement was not needed at this time. Their integrity is above reproach, highly recommend them, very responsive and courteous.” – Gary M.
“I am very satisfied with Stone Creek. My mortgage company was very difficult to deal with, but Danielle was able to help me out through the arduous paperwork process. Rob, my project manager, was nothing but professional. As an insurance industry professional, I am familiar with the process/industry and I have been very pleased with Stone Creek Exteriors.” – TJ T.
For trusted advice, quality workmanship, and an ally that will deliver the greatest value, look no further than Stone Creek Roofing. We are built to serve you. If you need roof repairs or are looking to replace your residential or commercial roof, call or email us today.